Monday, November 26, 2007

Extremists

Extremists? Okay, fine. I will not be hyperbolic here in a sophomoric comparison that pits religious nuts who like to kill people to standard American lunatics.

However...

Aren’t we, too, quite extreme? The incredible greed of CEO’s?
Those who aspire to severe thinness by dismissing all carbohydrates?
Those who knock down their 4000 square foot house to build a 6000 square foot house?
Those who cannot stop eating and look so uncomfortable in airplane seats?
Those who believe in hell and believe that anyone who does not believe what they believe will go straight to it?

These are very extreme conditions. So easily witnessed in our country.

It is very interesting to me that the primate mind can be imprinted for almost anything. So though it is surprising to me, the forms of extremism that people engage in, it needn’t be. It’s a world of great variety.

I am particularly uneasy with people in other countries, no matter how far they are from my backyard, who want to kill me simply because I am an American, non-religious, what-have-you. But the lack of moderation in our country, by our own citizens, right in my face, terrifies me.

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

These ARE extreme times... You are so right.