Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Recession is a Retooling, I REPEAT

I have said it before and I am saying it again because people are flipping out.

The recession is a retooling. Nothing more.

And though we could look backward, (Love to impeach that bastard), or look forward (I’m going to be in so much pain, SOON!), it is essential to remember that right now, it is time to live RIGHT NOW.

Look, so many of us have lived through poorer times. Didn’t so many of you go to college? I don’t know about you, but I remember having to really think about how many quarters I was going to pump into the pinball machine in the lounge. I would go down to Bay Bank and take out twenty dollars, buy a carton of cigarettes and whatever was left, that’s what I spent for the rest of the week…on entertainment, only, but still.

I remember making five bucks an hour.

And, we have all lived with three or four other roommates at some point.

Furthermore, focusing less on material wealth and more on, “Whose turn is it to use the bathroom?” might do a person some good.

Most people do not die during economic downturns like these. Unless they kill themselves. My suggestion: Don’t kill yourself.

Go take a walk. You have legs.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the welcome dose of reality. I'm so sick of people freaking out, especially when one of them is me.

Rebecca Waring said...

I feel oddly joyful.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I take a lot of walks, and I fast forward through depressing news stories... And I think I remember $4.20 per hour? Is that possible?