Sunday, March 01, 2009

The Fizzle of Adrenalin: A Depression

Talking fiscally with my agent, and steering him away from, “This is the toughest year…” toward something more optimistic like, “My play is so cheap to produce!” we stumbled upon something, or rather, my agent did and I noticed it.

He said, “No regulation is fun. It’s exciting. Capitalism is exciting. You feel like anything can happen. But it doesn’t work.”

Nice work.

Could it be that libertarians and conservatives and all sorts of Republican types are simply addicts who are addicted to the thrill of the hunt? After all, they do acquire much and then they want to acquire more, so it can’t really be the acquisition that is satisfying. It must be the hunt. And they don’t want us to muck with that. Why? Because it’s the only thing that might be keeping THEM from falling into a miserable depression.

Ever notice when you are in a manic state that what lurks beneath is a desperate despair you are trying to avoid?

Could a fiscal environment that lacks regulation be the propitious arena where depressed and hungry monkeys can assuage their dipping brain chemistry by rampant hunting? Thus, revving up their dopamine? And who knows what other neurotransmitters!?

It has been proven, or at least shown in a study, that liberals are a gloomy bunch. Liberals foresee problems before they happen, worry more in general, think more about others and do tend toward pessimism. Sure. I’ll buy that. So, a world that is more depressed might seem more normal to the liberal soul.

A world that is more depressed disgusts the conservative fighter. And I understand why. I prefer to be a prospector. Joyful. On the hunt. But too much of that and what do you get? This.

2 comments:

katchaya said...

I think you may have hit the nail on the head sir!
I for one have always blamed my poverty on my lack of desire for aquiring greenbacks. I like to collect antique dog books,dog postcards,prints, but the idea of collecting money for me holds no interest.
I do hope some forensic psychologist does a big study on bernie madoff. I can't wait to hear about that.

Don Cummings said...

I AM These days motivated by money, but mostly because I want simple things, like food and water.

But yes---people get SO OUT OF CONTROL!

Thanks for chiming in, Katchaya.