Thursday, March 11, 2010

I Remember the Blender

Adam, my Recognized-by-the-State-of-California-Domestic-Partner, and I are traveling to Florida in the morning to spend a longish weekend with my parents for my mother’s 70th birthday.

I remember when my mother turned 29 and we all chipped in and bought her a blender. Chop, liquefy, stir, etc.—those colorful buttons.

I thought it was weird. It felt so impersonal. Like, why would anyone want a blender for their birthday? Also, it was the first blender we ever had, so I was kind of excited. But it did seem like the wrong gift at the wrong time.

We had it for years.

I often think of my mother’s 29th birthday whenever March 14 rolls around. We were all so incredibly young. I was just getting a little bit of life’s understanding into my head.

What probably stuck most of all was how my mother opened the gift and on some level was disappointed but she put on a cheery response so we would not be disappointed. A very generous thing to do.

This year, we’re giving her money.

3 comments:

Rebecca Waring said...

Was it a WARING blender????

Don Cummings said...

Twasnt!

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I remember those first blenders... Stainless steel was the rage!