Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Ideas and a mini-Review: The White Ribbon

If you like your German movies oppressive and gorgeous (like I do), you’ll love The White Ribbon. This is the big foreign language movie of the American Oscar Season. It’s a bit heavy handed, but hell, it’s Germany! Just before WWI. Victoriana is giving over to the modern era. The moral code is still based on God and farming, but the modern souls are trying to break out. It’s like Spring Awakening, without the music. The cinematography is outrageously stark. Loved it. Many characters---the baron, the steward, the priest, the doctor, all of them mean. Either they’re berating someone or fingering their daughter. But what has really changed? Lots of weird crimes going on in the town and the adults can’t figure out who the hell is the perpetrator. Could it be the kids?
For my Deutsch Marks, though, I would rent I’m Not Scared. It is also gorgeous, but the story is clearer and the children, yep, they are getting pounded on, too. Plus, it’s Italian. But The White Ribbon is worth seeing if you really love movies that are visually in the top 1% and you have a love for discipline.

On Iraq becoming a democracy: I always thought the Bushies were onto something parading into Iraq for regime change. I mean, sure, have your big wet Neo-con dream. But why lie to us about the WMD in the trucks? It’s still so insulting. Patriarchal monsters, those guys were.

A friend of mine was talking about making cool films, you know, arty shit. I say, fuck arty shit, give me Arty Johnson.

Quote that I want to throw away: I hold onto my disappointment like a lover.

Tea. It’s all about tea right now.

No comments: