Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Thirty-One Years Ago Today

What's the use in writing diary entries every single day for Thirty-Two years (except for 1976) unless someone reads them, right?

This blog is dedicated to the brilliant Leslie Denk, who, at my 40th Birthday party suggested, "Bring out your old diaries and let's hear what happened on your birthday twenty years ago."

What an inspired act of hilarity. It turns out, I pretty much did the same things then that I do now: play the piano, go to rehearsal, make comments about other people.

So, with no further adieu...I bring you June 15, 1974:
(I have added punctuation for clarity.)

Me, Greg, Ricky, John Linton, Steven Linton and Jerry Mazza egged two houses. I had fun.


I kid you not. Commentary: Greg is my brother. He is happily married in Northern New Jersey in a blended family. Ricky was the guy I used to fool around with who, at twelve years old, was quite ready for anything, lucky for me. John Linton was a creep who once punched me in the nose. He eventually became a telephone lineman and a Jesus freak. Steven Linton had super wiry hair, very long, was much nicer than his younger bully brother, John, and liked to smoke a real huge amount of pot. I have no idea what happened to him. Jerry Mazza died in a car accident. I imagine the eggs were cleaned off the two houses. I have a vague memory of having fun because I was hanging with the neighborhood boys and in this group vandalism, I was accepted as one of the gang. I can remember the thrill of being bad, bad, bad. This diary entry makes me want to smoke a Marlboro Red.

4 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Oh, great fun! I expect more of these retro posts... Presented at random.... In fact, as a reader I demand it!

XOXOX
Mr. HK
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen.

Dan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
robin hood said...

I love this idea for a post. My diaries have been my sketchbooks over the years, so they are in a kind of code no-one will understand. But I do seem to remember keeping one good written diary over a 3-4 year period. Must dig that out and read it.

Anonymous said...

Egging houses in June??!! Halloween, yes. But June??!! What was this, a Flag Day egging? ;-) You were a hooligan!!

I agree with Mr. HK