Thursday, August 16, 2007

August 16, 1974

I swam at Devils Ditch and I swam a a swimming whole in hillburn. All Sally's friends came over tonight. They ate everything. Well I'm going to sleep now Goodnight

At the end of my street flowed the mighty Ramapo, a river of waste effluents, stuck logs and crayfish. I spent many summers down at Devils Ditch--with a rope swing and everything else. During major flooding, we would jump off a large steel industrial bridge and float down the river to Devil's Ditch. You can also imagine every other kind of thing that went on down there. It all happened. Some of the guys still live in their parent's basements.

2 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Looks pretty...

Rebecca Waring said...

This reminds me of the Brandywine River in Delaware. It looked pretty but I recall a day spent swinging off a vine and jumping in - and avoiding the raw sewage we could all see floating past.....