Friday, August 03, 2007

Birthday Wishes

I’m ancient.

In its way, it’s rank. There are upsides.

I go to the gym for a few weeks, wear an old t-shirt and I amuse myself thinking I’m still young. But then, there it still hangs, the paunch, mocking.

Vanity was always ugly. Now, it’s tragic.

The plus to all this getting older is you do gather a lot of information. You do good things with some of the information. Sometimes, you use the information to torture yourself.

It is also possible to have assets at this age. Real ones that you can sell. This is decent recompense for the strain of all that planning and working.

You maintain great relationships that are very reliable, if you are not crazy. This is wonderful. Though, not having to work so hard to have people in one’s life, one can slide a bit toward complacency. But then there is the depth mixed with humor that can arise from such well formed friendships and that’s better than trying to impress someone new.

By the time a person reaches my age, he has eaten so much, yet there is still so much more to be eaten.

I have not yet been to Asia, Africa, Oceania, South America or Alaska.

I still hate liver.

My feet haven’t aged much.

My Recognized-by-the-State-of-California-Domestic-Partner, Adam, bought clips to hold the screens in today, snug against the window jams, so now the flies and mosquitoes can’t get in. This is great.

Life’s a pleasure, and then you finish up.

4 comments:

Dan said...

Happy Birthday!

I haven't seen Alaska as well, but frankly I don't get why one would want to go out of their way to see a giant christmas tree lot with killer bears and a big pipe down the middle. I'll take Manhattan.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Donnie!! And look at the bright side...all those flies and mosquitoes that Adam is keeping out of your house only get 48 hours to live. 48 hours. That's all. Not to mention the fact that Adam locks you out of the house only, what, a couple days a year? Not a bad life.

David K

Rebecca Waring said...

Happy Birthday!!!! Life definitely gets better with age - at least so far!

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I logged on to see if you had a Happy Birthday.

Um.

Hard to tell.