Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Call Me Creepy

One of the screaming points of those on the “right” who oppose gay marriage is:

“I don’t want my child to come home and say to me, ‘When I grow up, I can marry Johnny or Susie.’”

Okay, that would be strange. But would it be, really?

Two parts here.

First of all, when I was a kid, I remember this boy down the street who said, MORE THAN ONCE, “Back when I was a little girl…” He had this idea that when he was a baby he was a girl, and at present, he had become a boy. He was very much a wild little boy. This might seem off topic. But I bring it up to point out that kids are very loose about boys, girls, etc. And then, for most kids, they get to that age when their sex is extremely defining for them. So, there is a trajectory and it isn’t neat. Later on, when I was about eleven, all the boys, and I mean all of them, were messing around with each other sexually. And I hear that lots of the girls were, too. And in college? Well, you can imagine those elite campuses filled with all those bi-curious devil worshippers! Even in the eighties! (Especially in New England).

Okay, but to the second part and the part that is really the part that might make me sound creepy, but here I go. Would it be SO WRONG if kids did end up having this idea that they could marry anyone at all? I mean, I know it would be drastically culturally different. But could this whole thing that is happening be some sort of collective Mother Nature way of population control? And now we are finally getting around to recognizing how natural and evolutionary it all is and therefore approaching legalizing recognized marriages between same sexes at a federal level? And if not that (because you simply cannot prove this, even though certain sea turtles and many fish and worms will change sex if there is not enough of the opposite sex around…and it happens uniformly, by exact ratios or by convenience, depending on the species)—well, would it not be simply fine?

People get used to seeing certain things. Once people get used to seeing lots and lots of same sex couples around, won’t it just be a big ol’ ho-hum, get moving, Cracker Barrel is having an early bird special?

If children are led, even made to believe that a future of sex and marriage with anyone is possible, well, so what? The worse that could happen is we end up with less children, overall. And that is not a problem. That is a big win.

The real problem is this: How do you keep an economy strong with a population that is shrinking? Easy---it is done all the time. Poke around the internet.

Call me creepy, but I think kids might as well have the choice and might as well talk about it, because, really, this is how it is heading.

Kids will be different. Kids always are. The world is complicated and we don’t exactly understand the planet or where it will bring us. But trying to keep things as they have always been? It has NEVER stayed the same. EVER.

(And for the record---every liberal person I know could care less if their child married someone of the same sex. They really mean it. This infection is forever. Just love it. You know Jesus does.)

Call me creepy. And then, just relax.

This blog entry, and others like it, is from www.opentrench.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Tandava (Carol Henning) said...

The father of a high-school age girl remarked to me that at her new "artsy" midtown high school, the stigma was on people who were straight.

If you weren't at least bi, you were boring and possibly narrowminded.

Did this bother the father? Not a bit, although he thought it was an amusing reversal.