Monday, June 21, 2010

Landfill in a Purse

There I was enjoying my longest day of the year. I was considering buying a Kindle today and my friend said, “Wait.”

I like simple advice.

Then a few hours later I was on the subway and next to me a young woman in black leggings and a shiny rhinestone necklace pulled out a Kindle. She poked around, then put it away. Next, out came the iPad. She played like a monkey (like you’re supposed to) all over the screen.

At first I thought, “Oh, she must be a reviewer of readers.”

But that was my denial engine not believing that anyone could be so insane as to zip around town with two different electronic readers in their bag.

Creativity is what gets us so many things. Redundancies, of course, too. We have to live with it. I just wish we could live with it creating everything with full knowledge that in just a few years, these things will be landfill.

Books last longer than iPads.

 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how fervently I hope you are right!

Mother/Judith