Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Henri Cartier-Bresson at MOMA

Go. Today.

Henri Cartier-Bresson at MOMA

He has been all over the world. Henri C-B, in addition to his clear technique and his eye for perfect but spontaneous composition, this man also had great material! The modern century. That’s the 20th Century. Amazing pictures of everyday life in every part of the world. Also, Gandhi’s funeral, portraits of Camus, Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir, etc. Some of the photos are so moving, you just kind of cry. His pictures are full of narrative. And maybe a snarkier man than I might find this all a bit sentimental, but that man would be missing much.

The show is a bit overwhelming. Huge, in fact. But worth the couple of hours. Try to go when you think there won’t be a million people there.

So much is living in the photos.

1 comment:

Tandava (Carol Henning) said...

Thank you for the recommendation! I actually work down the block for there -- and even have a corporate membership -- but I almost never manage to go unless I am taking a friend (I can bring a couple of guests for free, if you'd ever like to join me).

But this is a reason to go. I'm putting a note on my desk to remind myself: Before June 28th, I'm going to get my butt over there.