Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Priscilla

I have friends who are producing PRISCILLA, so go see it. I’ve seen snippets. It’s purely enjoyable.

www.priscillaonbroadway.com.

It’s going to be fun. And it’s time for our Trans friends to have their Trans moment in midtown Manhattan. (It’s at The Palace.)

I personally do not find stories about people rising up out of shame and into glory that satisfying. I mean, everyone kind of has to do that, no matter who they are and with whatever peculiar affliction. So go for the color and the fun.

When I was a kid, and this is true, I did not understand why almost every song was about falling in love or losing love. I used to think, “Why is there not a song that explains to you how a clock works?”

Seriously. Why isn’t there? It could be so enjoyable.

I understand the need for people to increase their self esteem---but in order to write that story, you have to assume that people start at a lower place. Seems so linear.

But people like the feel of something linear. Give it to ‘em girls!

5 comments:

John B said...

Excellent recommendation, Don. And indeed, give it to 'em, girls.

40licious said...

Might I suggest some They Might Be Giants? They have songs about everything. Bangs, triangles, mink cars, hockey.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

This is fully expected to be a huge hit!

Tandava (Carol Henning) said...

There's always The Syncopated Clock, a favorite from my childhood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Syncopated_Clock

OK, so it's not really about how a clock works, but about how one particular clock works (or doesn't quite work in the way it is expected).

No romance, no silly gush. Just a guy and his funky clock, and a very catchy tune!

* said...

Oh Friends! Thanks for helping me out with my song troubles!
And yes--Priscilla will be a hit.