Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Is it Possible to Complain? (Help us Al Gore...)

Switzerland was beautiful, clean, on time, loaded with trains, cog trains, high wire acts, tunnels, and my favorite middle Europa thing: ham, cheese and good bread six meals a day.

Plus, the people are easy going. At least, all the people I met.

The trip ended with us flying right into the unstable air of Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey. The plane plummeted many times---you know that feeling. And everyone sort of screams a little. (Then, I just continue to moan…) Something funny was happening as we were crossing the Atlantic. The sky just got full of weather so we went up to 40,000 feet. This usually means that coming back down is going to be nasty. And it was.

All I could think of was, “This air is so unstable and it’s because we have heated up the earth too much with all of our equipment. And here I am in an aluminum hell tube and I am only making matters worse. How many dead dinosaurs did we burn getting here today? And isn’t this very thing I am doing, riding jets, making the world worse so that riding jets ends up being so incredibly uncomfortable?”

I am no fan of flying. I am especially no fan of flying around during toradoes-in-June-in-New-England. Nasty.

The following video sums up the trip. It was spectacular, until the very end. My audible reaction at the end of this seven second clip was caused by the realization I had pushed some button on my smartypants phone by mistake. Or something. There is an honesty to the groan.

Look---there is just so much we can control.

No comments: