Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The New Yorker Hotel

At the corner of 34th and Eighth Avenue is the fine Art Deco building, The New Yorker Hotel---once fallen derelict and now in repair, it is the hotel where my grandmother and grandfather (Nanny and Poppa) spent their honeymoon.

I pass by the hotel all the time and it can be seen from many points west, being that it is pretty tall with not much obstructing it. Cool looking thing. I always think of Nanny when I see it. And I had never been in the lobby before.

So tonight, while passing by, I bounced in. It's pretty great looking.

I thought about how my grandparents must have decided upon this hotel because they were from Newark and Penn Station is right across the street. It was 1938. What did they know? It was probably the only hotel they'd ever seen, and very conveniently located. So they chose it.

Funny thing, honeymoons. And Newark. And Penn Station.

Went back out onto Eighth Avenue and I missed my grandmother who died twenty-two years ago, and kind of cried. Okay, I cried hard. Look, men cry over their Nannys. It happens.


 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

And a bit of added trivia... It's owned by the Moonies... It is a cool deco hotel though...