Sunday, October 16, 2005

Capote

Okay, so we ate some pot roast and went to see Capote.

I have to admit...I was never a big In Cold Blood fan.
I know. I know. There’s something wrong with me. I can only say that Philip Seymour Hoffman was outrageous and you can bet on him for best actor Oscar. No question.

But the whole story of this movie....the whole morality tale that Capote used these guys and in the end it sort of killed him. Sure. Okay. Bad egomaniac goes down. And the whole historical incident to begin with, I mean, yeah, yeah, yeah, that was the loss of innocence for America.
And yeah, yeah, yeah, it was some sort of turning point. But for some reason, I just, I just, I just don’t buy it.

I just don’t.

I think America was jaded before that big murder. Because Capote was older than the killers.

I don’t know what’s with me. I never thought much of Elvis. I never cared for James Dean. And I never thought much of In Cold Blood. And so the movie left me a bit bored.


But Philip Seymour Hoffman. Genius.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dan said...

I saw “Capote” as the portrait of an artist as a complex individual (a welcome break from those saccharine bio-pick films Hollywood usually dishes out). Who does an author owe his allegiance to - his sources, society/justice, his publisher, his audience, his desires, his celebrity, his friendships, or the work itself? Capote put his work before anything else (in cold blood), which did him in on a personal level, but created what many people consider to be an incredible work and a new style of writing.

Rebecca Waring said...

I don't even know who PSHoffman is. You guys are the intellectual elite. Here is sit in Maryland. Oh well. I will go to the movie. I saw something on PBS years ago about Truman Capote. About how cruel people were to him as a child because he was different. It was so sad and he's so brilliant. I'll go see the movie just for that reason.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I'll have to see this for that performance...

Genius, huh?

Cheers,

Mr. H.K.
Postcards from Hell's Kitchen
And I Quote Blog

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Saw it, finally. Agree that PSH was wonderful. He well deserved his Golden Globe the other night... And you're right, we're talking Oscar...