Wednesday, February 04, 2009

The Cold

I am taking an extended stay in New York. Having lived in Los Angeles for fifteen years, I had two trepidations:

1) Noise in apartment buildings
2) The weather

As I walked from the subway to my apartment, wheeling my wheely bag without gloves on, the tips of my right fingers all went to numbness and pain. Otherwise, I held up pretty well. I certainly did not get frost bite. Furthermore, the cold air was bracing.

Upon entering the apartment, the guy above me was running on his treadmill so my entire living area was shaking and bouncing. It was truly awful. Of course, it eventually subsided. Right now, at 3 AM, it is bone quiet.

In Los Angeles, one can go for months without experiencing any physical discomfort (other than poor air and wretched traffic problems). As long as one stays at home, providing the home is lovely, then living in Los Angeles is, simply, lovely. Though, it can get smallish, hiding out on 5,000 square feet of property.

In New York, there is much discomfort, but it is all short lived. Irritants, really. Good place to practice patience. Zen. Acceptance.

2 comments:

Bancha S. said...

Yes, I feel the annoyances come in the form of intense, but quick spikes.

A siren, a car blasting music, a screechy subway PA, etc. But they're all over with very quickly.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

A running machine???