Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My, What a Large Package!

Though I am inclined to enjoy a very large package, I am also aware that something this big has the potential to be quite painful unless one relaxes into it. I don’t think anyone is relaxed.

I applaud the breadth of this thing. I assume blending tax cuts with cash infusion might be a winning mixture. Of course, I especially love the investment-in-renewables component.

Now, I want to talk about these salary caps. So let’s say the government puts a cap on the top salaries of bailed out banks, which they have. Won’t this make the competition for high up executives lopsided and thus send the greediest (and maybe best) executives to the not-bailed-out banks? I do think so. Half measures make me see red---and I specifically mean the red circle on the Japanese flag. Remember how their half measures went? Or didn’t?

Perhaps, there needs to be cap laws on ALL businesses. Then the competition can’t lean. That’s what I’m offering up. They do it in so many other countries.

I know some people who resent this whole OBAMA-AS-KING-CAN-DO-NO-WRONG thing. I understand it. I am all for Obama. However, I am disgusted by half measures.

It’s like eradicating those non-indigenous wild cats and not thinking about the horrible uptick in the rabbit population. And bunnies like to eat. The big picture. The big picture!

So as much as I like big packages, I like big pictures more. Especially at my age.

But I am not an economist, just a guy with a hunch about money, and I welcome ALL comments. The floor is open.

What do you think about this huge package? And will you go work on one of those rusting hulks we use for bridges? Do you think infusing here, saving there and ignoring other parts is a winning strategy? Do you feel any more relaxed by all this? What about health care?

4 comments:

Rebecca Waring said...

All I know is that I have no stinking clue how to fix all this. Obama already looks older. I wish him well. I'd rather have a colonoscopy than have his job.

40licious said...

I think we just took $780 billion and dropped it off a mountain top. But can it be worse than it was???

Dan said...

Funny how our society questions the cost of helping people and not fighting wars. I didn't hear "fiscal conservatives" ask where we were going to get the money to pay for invading Iraq. Healthcare, foreclosures, global warming, that's a different story.

Don Cummings said...

Thanks for the comments. It sounds like we are being optimisitc, here, collectively.
And moving forward. Feels good.

ONWARD.