Monday, January 24, 2011

Something About the Cold that Makes Me Hot

For many years I lived in Los Angeles and I was cold all the time. Our house was a sieve. The temperature dropped at least twenty degrees every day. I felt it.

Chilled. Always chilled. Never heated.

I thought back to when I was in college in Boston and I used to run around in January with just a t-shirt and a skimpy leather jacket and I was just fine. Not cold. Fine. Maybe it was a young man’s thing?

But here in New York as an old man, when it is 17 degrees, I go out in a thin shirt and a down coat and I just do not feel the cold.

Something is going on. It must be the enzyme thing.

Okay, so this is how enzymes work, I have read. You have two full body sets. One for warm weather and one for cold weather. I think my cold weather enzymes kick in and I am completely heated up with those enzymes when it is fully cold outside. So I do not get cold. Even my hands stay warm.

I imagine in Los Angeles that it never got truly cold enough for these proteins to kick in. And the warm weather enzymes, well, they were compromised because of the vastly fluctuating temperature.

But whatever it is, it just seems so odd to be running around during the winter and to be truly warm. It is like being a teenager all over again, though now I see that age has nothing to do with it.

And now a few words about my bowel movements and ear wax.

Not really.

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Enzymes?? This never occurred to me. I just know I'm wired for cold weather!!