Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I AM LOVE

Directed by Luca Guadagnino, I Am Love is so worth seeing I can’t believe you’re sitting here reading this stupid blog entry when you should be online buying your tickets.

Look, the story is not so new. Oh well. I am not spoiling anything here as we all know that Tilda Swinton gets carried away by this earthy chef in gorgeous Italy.

But really, this movie is not about the story. It’s about the design, the shooting and the incredible costumes, sets and music and of course, acting. I don’t usually put much stock in design stuff (I completely walked out of The English Patient). But this movie? It’s a damn thrill, the sensual nature of it. Everything about it is so beautiful, it makes me proud to be half Italian, though the Italians that I hail from are more the servants in the movie than the industrialisti that are the center of the story.

Tilda Swinton heads a cast of such beautiful and well dressed Milanese, you’ll wonder how you are ever going to show your decent face and your ugly wardrobe again in any social setting. Tilda is Oscar bound, what with her Italian and Russian.

The music by John Adams is also Oscar bound.

So get your ballots out and mark them now.

John Adams starts with some very Copland xylophone stuff, giving the movie a very 1955 feeling. And the music keeps changing as the story gets into very different territory.

The sex/nature scenes are unbelievable. You guys! See it.

When the story does turn toward the end, I didn’t buy it. And upon reflection, I still don’t. But it’s hard to make a perfect movie, always has been. I’m letting it go.

See it in a really good movie theatre with a big screen with great sound.

Go out for a great meal when you’re done. Order the shrimp.

I Am Love

3 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

You're quite the filmgoer these days...

John B said...

as you know, I LOVE her. And I've seen the shrimp scene. ummmmm...ok!

I'm dying to see this before it goes away. Thanks for the review!

Bradford said...

Charlie and I went to see this opening weekend - fantastic!