Monday, July 26, 2010

Name Playground

Have fun with this one! Find out how common your name is, when it was the most popular, all of that, at Name Playground.

Apparently, Donald experienced its peak popularity in 1934 and has been going downhill ever since. (My father was born in ’38 and I am named after him.) 1934 was the year when Donald was the name of 3.07% of the male population and was the sixth most popular name. Now, Donald is the 303rd most popular name. Quack, quack.

Names have changed so much. Because I never had a kid, I never spent much time on this sort of thing. (Except for my pooch.) But I had fun looking at names when they were at their peak.

Roger and Dianne both peaked in 1945.

Alan and Kathryn had their peak in 1951.

Michael peaked and was the number one name in 1954.

Most popular names for 2006? Jacob and Emily.

What a surprise, right?

Apparently, almost everyone named their son Gregory in 1962.

But for now, I think I’ll name my next dog Ethan or Madison.

2 comments:

mkm said...

That's funny Donald. The average age of a Mary is 75! I never meet a young Mary anymore. What happened to all the good Catholic girls???

Don Cummings said...

I know---the Marys of the world are graying! The average age of Donald is in the 60's. We're retro baby!