Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Dying Dog Show: Four Months Later

My beloved Louise has been dead for four months.

Tonight, it hit me again.

To spare you the image of a middle aged guy sobbing alone in an apartment over his dead pooch, I will not describe it in detail.

But I will jump in here with this—loss is so awful, yet we survive it and I am very impressed with that. I imagine grief is the brain’s mechanism to release the connection to something that is no longer here? I don’t really understand grief. We had some dogs that didn’t last in our house growing up. Only one, JJ, really upset me.

Dogs.

I hear the only way to really get over your dead dog is to get another one.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Maybe. I went on antidepressants after lewis died. It was compounded with my gpa dying and my step kids moving in. It was *too* much. We got another dog. It has helped tremendously, but don't get one too soon. We tried that and it was terrible. It's easy to forget what a pain in the ass a new dog/puppy is. Hugs!

Dan said...

The Denks wait at least 24 hours before getting a new pet.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Meanwhile, you can come pet mine...

Rebecca Waring said...

http://www.chihuahuarescue.com/index.html