Sunday, April 12, 2009

reasons to be pretty

I’ve always been a fan of Neil LaBute. I loved In the Company of Men. Cynical, truthful, shot so flat and real, harsh and honest.

He and Solondz, they were the men for me.

He kept on. I’ve seen much. By the time he got to FAT PIG, I thought, “Fat pig? Really?”

Felt like a whole lot of shark jumping to me.

Then, yesterday, we saw reasons to be pretty. I am many degrees wrong.

reasons to be pretty is very smart, fantastic to listen to, straight out and flat to watch, sad and honest.

I hope it does very well.

Acting is pitched right. Deep enough. But also, the language is handled musically and pedestrian at the same time. Actors (and I saw one understudy) were: Thomas Sadoski, Anne Bowles, Steven Pasquale and Piper Perabo.

Direction is muscular and smooth. Economized and adult. By Terry Kinney. No slouch.

Set design is sad—palettes of big box store items framing the stage. Much of the play takes place in the break room. Pathetic, slave location. Needing to break out. David Gallo here.

I think the title is misleading. Perhaps this is purposeful. This play is really about a weak guy learning how to grow up, to be brave, to tell the truth. Even with the chosen lower casing of the title...

But then what would you call it? “The Break Room?”

I don’t know.

Rarely have I been to a play where I have enjoyed the language so much. You ride it in this one. It is a unique sound.

The difficulty of men and women getting along? Yes, a DNA problem. But also, facing off on differences of world view, ambition and bravery between any two people is always a cause for conflict and drama. Growing up. Paying attention.

See it.

No comments: