Friday, April 03, 2009

So We Keep Printing Money

How wild. We just keep printing it and Obama keeps handing it out.

What on earth is happening here?

I have never lived through anything like this. I have recall about things I’ve read. The Weimar, mostly. People pushing wheelbarrows of cash to buy a loaf of bread.

I don’t mind if the dollar collapses along with all the other currencies. But then you have to ask, “What IS the modern currency?”

Or, “What WILL BE the currency of next year?’

I just do not know. Maybe the currency will be experience. Or openness. Or pebbles. Or corn?

Loose, meaningless dollars out there.

Perhaps what will need to happen is a huge sigh of debt erasure. Like the day the earth stood still. We all just agree: DO OVER!

And all debt is forgiven.

Then fashion a One World currency. Come up with a new name and a new symbol. The I. As in Roman Numeral 1… Could be a good unit. Just call them ONES. Every language has a word for one. Use I and call it One. Maybe we’ll feel like one big part of it, together.

Start over.

Obama and friends…you’re freaking me out. And I’m a Democrat. Big one.

4 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

How about a barter system?? I'll give you one pozzole for a frozen margarita? Etc...

Rebecca Waring said...

They're freaking me out too. But I did hear that this is the same approach that got us out of the Great Depression. FDR just spent tons of money we didn't have. Then there was the war and after that we did have a big national debt. It was bigger than currently in terms of percent of GNP. So maybe it will all work out but this is seriously freaking me out too. China is going to OWN us lock, stock and barrel.

40licious said...

I think that it's time we started thinking about things in terms of VALUE, not money. I'm OK with this. I don't want to be a country that boils everything down to money.

John B said...

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that its time to let the recession do its work and let business come to the conclusion that it needs to slash prices and increase service.

Otherwise, we artificially keep ourselves in stasis, and right where we are now is a bad place to be.

You can't control markets, so let it do what its supposed to.

Ahh well; this is it. The best test of Keynes ever. You couldn't have recreated these conditions if you tried, and we're all going to get to see if Keynes or Adam Smith/Milton Friedman was right.

What a nail-biter!