Monday, April 20, 2009

State of Play

I like a hard boiled movie.

I like journalism.

I like Russell Crowe (why two Ls? Yes.) a lot. Investigative reporter gone to seed. Fat and hairy and still very sexy.

And Helen Mirren is everyone’s favorite strong woman. The boss of the paper.

Ben Affleck is still very handsome and likable and, well, you know, he could always be better. Sorry Ben. One roots for you. With your long face. Ben seems to be holding onto youth with all four limbs. The congressman.

Robin Wright Penn, beautiful and simple. The wife of the congressman.

Rachel McAdams got her job done.

And how about that slime ball Jason Bateman? He played the nastiest weasel I’ve seen in a long time. Kind of brilliant. The PR guy with some good information. I smell Oskie.

The story is one of those stories that I have a hard time following. But I followed this one, all the way through, to the end. The movie had me. It was smart. It was suspenseful. It had well developed characters with very complicated relationships.

However, the final twist was very unsatisfying and, really, almost ruined the whole thing for me.

Why did the story end like that?

I will only reveal this about the plot, in such vague terms: New journalism (blog) versus old journalism (paper). Mercenary military companies. Paranoia. A congressman going after the bad mercenary military guys. An affair. Spying. A nasty hired killer killing for whom? Russell Crowe is the middle aged reporter guy, with the big gut and the long hair…figuring out what really went down. The whole time, teaching Rachel McAdams what it is to be a real reporter.

Look…it’s better than a lot of other stuff out there. Plus, I was really in the mood for a movie.

Russell Crowe fans. Go.
Ben Affleck fans. Go.
Helen Mirren fans. Eh.
Newspaper thriller fans. Go.


State of Play

Now, what on earth does the title have to do with anything? I don’t know.

1 comment:

John B said...

Thanks, Don.

I really wasn't sure if I wanted to see this one. I got creeped out by the journalist and editor both not being Americans, but I guess with Murdoch owning everything, one can explain away the idea that British Empire subjects play the key editorial roles at a major DC paper.

I saw Jason Bateman going down the street with a toddler in a stroller on Sunday. That was kind of cool, but it in no way comes close to being next to Helen Mirren while she shopped for dresses on St. Mark's a month or so back.

That was like a dream come true except that the kids were with me and Helen didn't know I existed.

So yes, it was very sad. :)